Jamaica is an expansive neighborhood located in eastern Queens. Historically consisting of predominantly black communities, Jamaica now is home to an extremely diverse array of peoples and cultures.
Jamaica is the closest neighborhood to JFK Airport. To get to Jamaica from the airport, either take AirTrain JFK directly to Jamaica Station, a $7.75 fare, or as a cheaper alternative, an MTA Q10 bus from Terminal 5, which charges a regular $2.75 fare (note that this leaves you on the western edge of Jamaica; you can exit the bus at the Jamaica Av stop, right by the 121 St subway station, and take the J or Z train one stop to Sutphin Boulevard or two stops to Jamaica Center, a free transfer with MetroCard). The Q3 bus links JFK Terminal 5 with Hillside Avenue in northern Jamaica.
By Long Island Rail Road
1 Jamaica Station at 93-02 Sutphin Blvd is a major transportation hub for the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and is one of the busiest train stations in the country. It is served by every LIRR line except for the Port Washington Branch.
Jamaica is served by the E, F, J, and Z trains on the New York City Subway.
- 1 King Manor Museum, 150-03 Jamaica Ave, ☏ . The historic home of Rufus King, a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house exhibits the story of Jamaica Village in the early 1800s.
- 2 St. John's University, 8000 Utopia Parkway. A Catholic private university.
- Afrikan Poetry Theatre, 17603 Jamaica Ave. Hosts classes, activist and cultural programs, musical performances, and produces original plays.
- Black Spectrum Theatre, 11907 Merrick Blvd. Creates theatre and film that focuses on educating African American youth on racial issues, as well as highlights emerging Black artists.
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning, 16104 Jamaica Ave. The heart of Jamaica's art culture, organizing workshops, classes, exhibits, and performances in the visual and performing arts.
- Rufus King Park Take a walk and watch locals play soccer in the field.
- Jamaica Avenue is the neighborhood's main thoroughfare, with a plethora of shops. The street is very pedestrian friendly, and items are typically cheap.
- 1 Comfort Inn & Suites JFK Airport, 144-36 153rd Ln, toll-free: .
- 2 Days Inn by Wyndham Jamaica / JFK Airport, 144-26 153rd Ct, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $89-207.
- 3 Jamaica YMCA, 89-25 Parsons Blvd, ☏ .
- 4 JFK Inn, 154-10 South Conduit Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM–11PM, check-out: noon. $103-179.
- 5 Best Western JFK Airport, 144-25 153rd Ln, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $85-250.
- 6 Courtyard by Marriott New York JFK Airport, 145-11 N Conduit Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $140-301.
- 7 Fairfield Inn by Marriott New York JFK Airport, 156-08 Rockaway Blvd, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. $169-272.
- 8 Hampton Inn NY-JFK, 144-10 135th Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $102-285.
- 9 Hilton Garden Inn Queens/JFK Airport, 148-18 134th St, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $101-243.
- 10 Holiday Inn Express New York JFK Airport Area, 153-70 S Conduit Ave, ☏ , [email protected]. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $97-246.
Jamaica is a traditionally working-class family neighborhood. Through the years there have been problems with crime, including violence and gang activity. The situation has greatly improved, the crime rate has followed a citywide trend downwards.
Normal precautions should be taken to avoid walking alone late at night.
|Routes through Jamaica|
|Midtown Manhattan ← Forest Park ←||W E||→ END|
|Financial District ← Forest Park ←||W E||→ END|