Westminster is a city in Orange County, Southern California.
Westminster, founded in 1870 by Rev. Lemuel Webber, is known for its high density of Vietnamese Americans who reside in United States as they sought refuge from the Communists in the aftermath of the Vietnam War. In fact, it has 36,058 Vietnamese Americans in the area and is also considered by many to be the 'capital' of overseas Vietnamese.
In 1996, Westminster won the All-America City award.
Accessible by Interstate 405 and the 22 Freeway. Major streets such as Beach Blvd. and Bolsa Chica Ave. run through the city.
Accessible by either John Wayne Airport (SNA IATA) or Long Beach Airport (LGB IATA). Los Angeles International, Burbank International, Ontario International, Palm Springs International, or San Diego International is all within 1.5 hour/100 mile radius.
Accessible by OCTA or Greyhound bus services.
Amtrak California Surfliner/Metrolink serves several locations throughout Orange County.
Using a car, walking or taking a bus is advisable. Hitchhiking is not recommended.
- Little Saigon. Little Saigon is the hotspot for Vietnamese American culture. Many Vietnamese retail, business, restaurants could be found inside here.
- Ice Palace, 13071 Springdale St, ☏ +1 714 899-7900. Ice Palace is an indoor skating rink.
- Larry Flint's Hustler Club, 7000 Garden Grove Blvd, ☏ +1 714 891-1430. Jolt down the street for drinks, lunch specials, and live adult entertainment.
- Westminster Mall, 1025 Westminster Mall (Located off Golden West exit from the 405 freeway), ☏ +1 714 898-2558. Basic indoor mall anchored by Macy's, JCPenney, Sears, and Target. It features more than 180 specialty stores. Its food court was immortalized by punk rock group The Vandals in their song Cafe 405.
- The Asian Garden Mall, 9200 Bolsa Ave,, ☏ +1 714-379-9913. the largest majority Vietnamese-owned and operated mall in America, and a one-of-a-kind shopping experience. The two-story mall houses dozens of shops, restaurants, and wholesale stores of all types, including a wide variety of imported products and foods. Many stores place no price tags on their merchandise, and buyers are expected to haggle with shopkeepers (A better price is generally had by someone with fluency in the Vietnamese language).
Exotic silks, objets d'art, food stuffs, and other items are readily available in Westminster, whether at the Westminster Mall, ultra-luxurious South Coast Plaza down the road, or Little Saigon.
- Lee's Sandwiches. Hot baguettes, fresh sandwiches, traditional Vietnamese sandwiches, fruit smoothies, coffee and French pastries are wonderful choices for a nice snack or quick meal. Several locations including some with drive-through windows.
- Tommy's Original Hamburgers, 7000 Westminster Blvd (located on southwest corner of Beach Blvd. and Westminster Blvd. intersection), ☏ +1 714 895-4320. Tommy's is a true Southern California staple with its chili cheeseburgers and fries.
- Taqueria Mexico, 14022 Springdale St, ☏ +1 714 894-5850. Enjoy authentic Mexican tacos and burritos at this affectionately-described hole in the wall. Open 24 hours.
- S Vietnamese Fine Dining, 545 Westminster Mall Dr, ☏ +1-714-898-5092, [email protected]. A combination of East meets West. French dishes with a Vietnamese flair are a specialty at this Zagat's-rated restaurant. Be sure to try the escargots baked in sweet coconut curry sauce with garlic and basil. A relaxing atmosphere highlights the restaurant accompanied by an excellent staff.
- Michael's Sports Pub and Grill, 15192 Goldenwest St, ☏ +1 714 373-5665. Michael's is a great place to watch sports, play bar games, and drink large glasses of cold beer with your friends. It has great appetizers and nightly drink specials. It features a bit of a younger crowd though inland of its Huntington Beach counterparts.
Several bars, liquor stores and supermarkets in the area sell hard liquor. Most restaurants serve a collection of world beers, wines, and spirits.
- Best Western Palm Garden Inn, 13659 Beach Blvd, ☏ +1 714 373-3200, toll-free: +1-800-432-6343, fax: +1 714 895-5801.
- Best Western Westminster Inn, 5755 Westminster, ☏ +1 714 898-4043, fax: +1 714 895-6151.
- Motel 6 Westminster North, 13100 Goldenwest St, ☏ +1 714 895-0042, fax: +1 714 894-3423.
- Motel 6 Westminster South - Long Beach, 6266 Westminster Ave, ☏ +1 714 891-5366, fax: +1 714 373-4287.
- Disneyland - Spend a day at the "Happiest Place on Earth". Located off the 5 Freeway in nearby Anaheim.
|Routes through Westminster|
|Los Angeles ← Seal Beach ←||N S||→ Fountain Valley → Irvine|