Vereeniging is a city in southern part of Gauteng province on the banks of the Vaal river. The city is one of the most important industrial manufacturing centres in South Africa, with its chief products being iron, steel, pipes, bricks, tiles and processed lime.
The name Vereeniging is derived from the Dutch word meaning "union".
The predominant language in Vereeniging is Afrikaans, followed closely by English and Sesotho.
The area around Vereeniging has seen many conflicts, from the Anglo-Boer wars to the anti-Apartheid uprisings.
The Sharpeville Massacre occurred in a suburb of Vereenging on 21 March 1960, when 69 people were killed and more than 300 wounded during a confrontation between the police forces and 12 000 protesters against the Apartheid laws. The 21st of March is today a public holiday (Human Rights Day) in South Africa in recognition of this event.
Vereeniging is located between the Vaal river and the N1. From Johannesburg, follow either the R59 south for around 69 km and take the Voortrekker Road exit. One can also reach Vereeniging using the N1, but the R59 is a lot more direct and simpler.
Commuter trains from central Johannesburg departs at least every hour. Operated by Metrorail, these have a reputation for being somewhat grubby and often overcrowded. Additionally, Shosholoza Meyl long distance trains connecting Johannesburg with East London and Port Elizabeth also calls here. However, these trains only run a few times per week.
- 1 Vereeniging railway station.
Public transport is limited and it is best to travel by hired car.
- 1 Sharpeville Memorial. In recognition of the Sharpeville Massacre in 1960. The day of the massacre has been commemorated as Human Rights Day in South Africa since 1994.
- 2 Vaal Teknorama, 1 Beethoven St. Museum focusing on the industrial development of the area.
- 3 Peace monument. In memory of the Anglo-Boer War
- Maccauvlei Garden of Memorial. A headstone with the names of the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand soldiers who died this area during the Anglo-Boer War.
|This page uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:|
|Mid-range||R60 to R120|
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||R1315 to R2785|
- 1 Riviera on Vaal Resort, 1930 Mario Milani Dr, ☏ +27 16 420 1300.