Strathmore is a town of 14,000 people (2016) in Alberta. Today, the town is an important agricultural community. Oil and gas exploration is also a growing interest in the area. Many residents commute daily from Strathmore to Calgary.
The town began as a hamlet for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) lines that were built in the area in 1883. The CPR named the town after one of its benefactors: Claude Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore. The Earl's granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth – as consort to King George VI – later passed through the community on the "Royal Train" in late May 1939.
A track-laying record was made between Strathmore and Cheadle when the railway was built. In one hour, one mile (1.6 km) of steel was laid and – at the end of the ten-hour working day – the rails were laid to Cheadle, 9 miles (14 km) for a record. Efforts by the Canadian government to develop western Canada led to increases in Strathmore's population and its importance as a rail supply stop. In 1905 the CPR moved the Hamlet of Strathmore 4 miles (6.4 km) north to its current location. The CPR railway tracks are now gone, and the land has been subdivided.
- Rider Express, toll-free: . Service on the Regina-Calgary route. This service has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Prairie Sprinter. Shuttle service from Medicine Hat.
- Strathmore Stampede, Strathmore Stampede Grounds, 33 Wheatland Trail, ☏ . First weekend in August. Canada's third largest rodeo. $15-30.
- Strathmore Golf Club, 80 Wheatland Trail,, ☏ . Cross-country skiing in the winter. 18 holes $22-65, 9 holes $15-45.
- Joyland Theatre, 114 2 Avenue, ☏ . Movie theatre.
- Strathmore Pawn Collectables, 410 Lakeside Boulevard, ☏ . M-F 11AM-6PM, Sa 11AM-5PM. Used household furnishings, antiques, collectibles, show home furniture, dining room furniture, new mattresses, odd and rare collectables.
- 1 Strathmore Farmers' Market, Strathmore Exhibition Grounds, ☏ . Jun-Sep: F 3PM-6:30PM. The town of Strathmore is roughly 40 minutes east of Calgary on Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy). Indoor Mother's Day Market near the end of Apr, outdoor market every Friday from mid-June to mid-Sep, indoor Christmas market last Saturday in November.
- Strathmore Station Restaurant and Pub, 380 Ridge Rd, ☏ . Restaurant: M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa Su 9AM-10PM; pub: M-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 2PM-midnight. Burgers, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, steak.
- Roadhouse Restaurant & Lounge, 510K Highway 1, ☏ , [email protected]. Daily 8AM-10PM.
- Kim's Cafe, 410 Lakeside Boulevard, ☏ . M-Sa 7:30AM-2PM. Salads, sandwiches, mains $9-13.
- [dead link] Origin Malting & Brewing Co., 60 Spruce Park Dr, ☏ . The only Brewery/Malt house/Taproom in Canada. They explain the process of farm-to-glass by taking malting barley from thrir family farm, malting it in their malting facility, and then brewing it into brews for sale in their taproom.
- Days Inn & Suites, 400 Ranch Market, ☏ , toll-free: . Free breakfast, fitness center and our pool. Each room features free high-speed internet, 32-inch flat-screen TV, a microwave, and a refrigerator. Accessible and Jacuzzi rooms are available. Pet-friendly. Free parking, with large-vehicle spaces. From $108.
- Super 8 Strathmore, 450 Westlake Road, toll-free: . Outside outlets for vehicles are included. Pet-friendly rooms. Free WiFi. Each room has a microwave, refrigerator, and access to guest laundry facilities. Free continental breakfast. Accessible and non-smoking rooms are available. From $86.
- Travelodge Strathmore, 350 Ridge Rd (at intersection with Trans Canada Hwy#1), ☏ , toll-free: . Full hot breakfast buffet and free wireless high-speed internet. Indoor saltwater pool and waterslide, and adjacent restaurant and pub. From $119.
|Routes through Strathmore|
|Calgary ← Chestermere ←||W E||→ Brooks → Medicine Hat|
|Camrose ← Three Hills ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ END|
|END ←||N S||→ ENDS at W S|