Sindhi (Sindhi: سنڌي, Devanagari script: सिन्धी, Sindhī) is the language of the Sindh region. It is spoken by an estimated 24,410,910 people in Pakistan. It is the third most spoken language in Pakistan and is the official language of the province of Sindh. It is also spoken in India by some 2,535,485 speakers; particularly in Sindhi enclaves.
It is an Indo-Aryan language of the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European language family.
Sindhi is primarily written in the Arabic script. Some members of the Sindhi diaspora in India may use Devanagari, but the Arabic script is still more common even in India.
- Tawhan keeyan aahyo?- "how are you?" (general greeting)
- Aaon/Maan theek aahiyan - "Very well".
- Tawhanjo naalo chha aahe - "What is your name?"
- Munhnjo naalo ______ aahaye. - "My name is _____."
- Tawhaan ker aahyo - "Who are you?"
- Mehrbani - "Thanks"
- Tawhaan jee Mehrbani - "Thank you"
- Ha - "Yes"
- Na - "No"
- Keeyan aahyo/Kehra haal aahin - "How are you?"
- Aaon/Maan theek ahyaan - "I'm fine"
- Allah wahi - "Goodbye" (used to end a conversation by Muslim Sindhis)
- Theek aahe - "Okay" (used to end a conversation by Sindhis)
- Hik - "One"
- Ba - "Two"
- Tey - "Three"
- Aaon/Maan Sindh jo aahyan/ Aaon/Maan Sindh maan ahyaan - "I am from Sindh"
- Aaon/Maan musulman aahyan / hindhu aahyann - "I am Muslim / Hindu"
- Aaon/Maan Sindhi aahyan / Assin/Assan Sindhi aahyun - "I am Sindhi" / "We are Sindhis"
- Tokhe chha khape-"what do you want"
- Chup kare veh - "keep quiet"
- Jeay______- "Long Live______"
- Bhali Karay aaya-"you are welcome"
- Tawhan san mili khushi thi - "nice to meet you"
- Tawahan jo dehnh kean guzryo?- "how was your day?"
- Tamam sutho guzryo cha kan ta puranan dostan san milyo huwas. - "It was very good because i meet with my old friends"
- Chha tih/toh kare? - "What are you doing?"
- Haarein chha? - "Now what?"
- Tawahan ke kuchh khape? - "You want anything?"
- Tawahan ke chha toh khape? - "Do you want anything?"
- Na, mukhe/maakhe kuchh na khape. - No, I don't want anything