Mount Kenya is near the centre of Kenya about 150 km north of Nairobi. At 5,300 m (17,400 ft) it is Africa's second highest mountain, after Kilimanjaro.
The immediate mountain area is a national park and a large swath of country around it a forest reserve. Together they form a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Mount Kenya has a friendly climate.
Fees and permits
Single day: US$52 non-resident adult + $3 per car. 4-day package: US$255 for Adult Non Resident. US$65 per day for every additional day.
- Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy.
- 1 Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Largest black rhino conservancy in Kenya. All Big 5 are present in the park. The attempt to save the northern white rhino is underway here. US$90pp/day.
- 1 Climb Mt Kenya. This is typically a 5-day activity with a guide.
- Day hiking. Day hikes are somewhat hard to find. On the south side, Castle Forest Lodge (see sleep section) has a couple of short guided hiking options. On the north side, Camp Old Moses is a possible start and/or end point (though not necessarily worth the US$52 entrance fee).
- 2 Ngare Ndare Forest. Ngare Ndare is known for its blue pools and waterfall - reserve ahead of time to ensure a guide is available to take you there (due to wild animals, you can't just go by yourself). It's either a 1-hour hike with an armed guard or a 4x4 drive with an unarmed guide from the 'office' under the canopy walk. There is also an elevated walkway (canopy walk) which is best done close to dawn/dusk when birds are active. US$40pp/day + $10 mandatory guide.
- 1 Castle Forest Lodge. Beautiful lodge & campground outside of the park, so there are no park fees. Cottages all have fireplaces. Chalet Montane has a hammock on the porch. Nature walks are offered for US$7-10 per person. Good place to relax for a couple of days. US$170 for 2 bedrooms.
- 2 Kiritiri Guest House, Kiritiri (on the south-eastern slopes of the Mount Kenya massif). Very simple rooms with shared toilet/shower. No mosquito net. Bar on site. 300 ksh.
- 3 Legacy Star Hotel, Chuka (on the B6 between Meru and Embu). Big hotel with simple rooms and suites. Restaurant and gym (free) on-site. Road-side rooms very noisy! Single/double 1000/1700 Ksh.