Kapiri Mposhi (also known as Komperi Mposhi) is a small town in Central Zambia.
Because of its location as a crossroads for automobile roads and railways Kapiri Mposhi has grown substantially.
Lamba is spoken in Kapiri Mposhi.
Kapiri Mposhi is at the junction of Great North Road and the road to the Northern Province and Tanzania. It is also a railway junction of the north-south line between Livingstone and the Copperbelt, and the TAZARA line to Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
Arriving from Lusaka takes 3 hours.
Arriving from Lusaka takes 8 hours.
The TAZARA line from Dar es Salaam takes 50 hours assuming no breakdown.
As a result of the town being so small, public transport is not necessary. However there are a number of taxis in the area, which will stop if notified.
There is very little to see in the way of touristic sights. Be aware of this when you are planning your journey. There is a small market near the train station that would warrant thirty minutes of your time.
There is little to do apart from exploring the area.
As of 2022 there is are 2 supermarkets in town. Both feature a bakery and a takeaway section. Most items are also cheaper than in the smaller shops upcountry. Stock up here on essential items before continuing your journey.
- 1 Choppies, T2 road.
- Shoprite, T2 road (few hundred meters south of Choppies).
There are a number of seedy looking hotels in the centre of town, just across the road from the bus station. These cannot be recommended.
There are a few decent guest houses about 4km North of town near the T2/T3 road junction.
- 1 MA22 lodge. Simple, self-contained rooms from ZK150-350. Hot water, mosquito net. Restaurant on premises. Complimentary breakfast. ZK150-350.
- 2 MA22 Annex (Opposite of the MA22 lodge). This new-ish lodge may be the best value in the area. The modern rooms are a bit dark but very spacious (20-25 sqm) and equipped with desk, chair and Smart TV. Mosquito nets. Small fan. Big bathroom with shower and hot water. Complimentary breakfast. ZK200.
- 3 Caracas lodge. Self-contained rooms. Hot water shower. No mosquito nets. ZK200-250.
- 4 Pillar lodge. Small lodge with decent rooms. The cheaper ones are a bit barren. Ceiling fan. Mosquito net. Hot water. Friendly staff that doesn't speak much English. ZK200-250.
As a result of the town being located on a major crossroads, there are a number of transportation options available.
These include frequent bus connections to the capital Lusaka.
There is the famed TAZARA train station of which Kapiri Mposhi is at one end. The station is about 2km out of town. This distance could be walked, but can also reached by taxi at very reasonable cost.