Elkhorn is a city of 10,000 people (2019) in Walworth County, Wisconsin.
First visited in the early 19th century by American settlers, Elkhorn got its name when Colonel Samuel Phoenix spotted a rack of elk antlers in a tree and proclaimed the area as "Elk Horn."
Elkhorn is located at the intersection of I-43 and US 12 in central Walworth County. It is immediately accessible from both routes.
The primary mode of transportation in Elkhorn and the surrounding area is car. As Elkhorn is in the central part of the county and used to be a minor rail hub, it is serviced by a number of major routes including I-43 and US 12 with service into the downtown through WI 67 and WI 11, which allow access to almost every part of the community.
- Bray Road: The location of the siting on the now infamous "Beast of a Bray Road," a cryptid which is variably described as a Bigfoot, Mothman or Werewolf. It has been spotted since it's original siting as far east as Burlington and as far west as Delavan. Bray Road is east of the city along WI 11. If visiting, please be respectful of the neighbors and don't trespass on private property.
- 1 Turtle Valley Wildlife Area, 5864 Co Hwy O. Turtle Valley Wildlife Area is about 1,900 acres of restored cattail marsh, meadowland, and tallgrass prairie just northwest of town, near Turtle Lake. There's a waterfowl refuge in the central part of the reserve, and bountiful hunting opportunities.
- 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, W2699 Cty Rd D. 37,000 capacity amphitheater, one of the largest in the United States. Concerts draw crowds from Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford, and Chicago.
- Elk Restaurant, 13 W Walworth St, ☏ +1 262 723-4220. 6AM-8PM daily.
- Fiddlesticks Cafe, 101 Evergreen Pkwy, ☏ +1 262 743-2233. Sa-Th 7AM-3PM, F 7AM-9PM.
- Moy's Restaurant, 3 N Wisconsin St, ☏ +1 262 723-3993. Lunch: Tu-F 11AM-2PM; dinner: Tu-Th 5PM-9:30PM, F 5PM-10:30PM, Sa 4PM-10:30PM, Su 4PM-9PM. Chinese.
- Someplace Else, 1 W Walworth St, ☏ +1 262 723-3111. M-Sa 11AM-9PM.
- Sperino's, 720 N Wisconsin St, ☏ +1 262 723-2222. Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F Sa 11AM-10PM. Italian.
- Vasili's Corner Cafe, 26 E Walworth St, ☏ +1 262 723-7100.
- AmericInn, 210 E Commerce Ct, ☏ +1 262 723-7799, toll-free: +1-800-634-3444, fax: +1 262 723-5623, [email protected]. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Hampton Inn, 40 W Hidden Trail, ☏ +1 262 743-2360. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
|Routes through Elkhorn|
|Milwaukee ← New Berlin ←||N S||→ Delavan → Beloit|
|Madison ← Whitewater ←||NW SE||→ Lake Geneva → Chicago|
|Janesville ← Delavan ←||W E||→ Burlington → Racine|