Daly City is San Francisco's immediate neighbor to the south. It is known as the "Gateway to the Peninsula".
Daly City has a mild climate, with wet, mild winters and dry summers. In most months, you can expect the maximum temperature to be in the 50s, 60s, or 70s degrees Fahrenheit (between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius). Evenings are usually in the 50s or 60s. Be prepared for cool humid weather, even in the summer (except September) when persistent fog often envelops the city.
Daly City has a varied ethnic composition with the distinction of having a large Asian community in the United States.
Westlake, Broadmoor, St. Francis, Serramonte, Original Daly City, Hillside, Crocker, Southern Hills, Bayshore
There are three airports in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO IATA) located about 10 mi (16 km) south of the city.
- Oakland International (OAK IATA) in the East Bay.
- Mineta San Jose International (SJC IATA) in Silicon Valley, about 1 hour south of San Francisco.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), ☏ . Provides a regional frequent rail service connecting much of the East Bay and Contra Costa County with Daly City, San Francisco and the San Francisco Airport through the Transbay Tube, a tunnel underneath San Francisco Bay. BART operates five routes, of which four reach Daly City. BART also meets Caltrain at Millbrae. Bicycles are allowed on BART except between stations designated in the schedule brochure during commute hours. Fares vary depending with distance traveled, and start at $1.40 for trips within the city. You will need to insert your ticket into barriers when entering and exiting the system. Tickets hold a balance, deducting the appropriate price for each trip, so someone who plans to use the system several times can buy a $10 or $20 ticket and not worry about fares until the card is used up.
- San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans), ☏ . The administrative body for the principal public transit and transportation programs in San Mateo County: SamTrans bus service, including Redi-Wheels paratransit service, Caltrain commuter rail and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority. Caltrain and the TA have contracted with the District to serve as their managing agency, under the direction of their appointed boards.
Two major freeways serving Daly City are U.S. Highway 101 and Interstate 280. Interstate 280 essentially bisects Daly City geographically as well as in terms of the areas with the highest commercial and residential density. Interstate 280 is less congested than U.S. 101 and therefore offers a preferred route into San Francisco (and locations further north and east) as well as southern peninsula locations.
King Plaza Shopping Center
Skyline Plaza Shopping Center
Pacific Plaza Business Center
A three-phase mixed-use development located next to the Daly City BART station.
- BridgePoint Inn, 3255 Geneva Ave, ☏ .
|Routes through Daly City|
|END ← San Francisco ←||N S||→ Colma → San Jose|
|Bodega Bay ← San Francisco ←||N S||→ Pacifica → Santa Cruz|